Interview with the Vampire Movie Costume
Rate this costume:
|add a comment|
1870's Parisian Aristocrat
|Costume type:||Costumes for Women|
This homemade costume for women entered our 2014 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Stephanie, the 'Interview with the Vampire' costume creator:
I am wearing this costume that I made a couple of years ago. I had just finished watching Interview With a Vampire and couldn't get Claudia's dress out of my head. I used 5 yards of the textured taffeta and 3 yards of the floral taffeta. I should have gotten 4 yards of the floral, but I liked the way it came out better. I had a corset that I never used anymore and covered it with the floral material. I used a hot glue gun to attach it. The corset had metal boning and I didn't want to risk sewing on the machine and breaking a needle. I cut up the pieces for the corset by eyeing it and laying fabric down. I left the fabric long enough on the top and bottom so I could glue it down on the inside. This way it would still look like a corset and the fabric would lay properly while on me. I also picked up curtain beads (the ones that are already attached to a seam. Ready to sew I guess you could say. they came on a spool. 2 yards) and this pretty black rose lace. I spot sewed by hand in some areas and machine sewed in others. For the skirt, I didn't follow any patterns. I made a maxi skirt once and remembered what it looked like. The skirt ended up being way to short (which is why I said I needed 4 yards of the floral). Since I had 5 yards of the textured taffeta, I just added enough of it to make the skirt go to the floor. For the apron, I used the textured taffeta. I cut a rectangle that went from my waistline to my knees and from 6 inches past the side seams on each side. I sewed a hem line on all 4 sides and spot sewed the sides of the apron to the sides of the skirt. It looks weird when you are done, but once you put it on, it will hang correctly. For the bustle and train, I used the last 3 yards of textured taffeta. I made a half circle and sewed the curtain beads to add some interest to the tushy and sewed that to the train. I really had no idea what I was doing to make the bustle. I got the knee high tube socks, filled them with stuffing and glued 2 of the together. The glued a long piece of Velcro to the socks. For the most part, it was comfortable and easy to wear and everyone loved it! Once in a while I put it on... just because!