Evil Scarecrow Costume
Rate this costume:
|add a comment|
Evil Scarecrow Costume
|Costume type:||Costumes for Men|
This homemade costume for men entered our 2015 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Teresa, the 'Evil Scarecrow' costume creator:
Costume: Evil Scarecrow
Costume Wearer: Kevin (Husband)
Creator and Sender of the entry: Teresa (Wife)
The idea was my husbands after seeing a cool graphic on the internet of a scarecrow.
Overall cost was about 150 dollars.. however, I bought WAY too much burlap. I think I used 6 to 7 yards and I bought 16!!!
How it was made:
Hood: I bought a cheap plastic face mask. The kind with the elastic strap on the back and just covers the face. My husband wears glasses so I needed the mask part to sit away from his face. I put memory foam pieces on the inside. The chin, forehead and cheeks area.
Using burlap fabirc and hot glue, I layered the mask until it became firm (about 4 layers). I rolled up burlap to form eyebrows, eye and cheekbone area. Then I took a massive piece of Burlap (one that would cover all sides of his head) and hot glued the face mask in the middle taking care to form the eyes and nose area. Cut out the eyes and glued see-through black material in them (from the inside).
We made the hood with no mouth, originally, but he had trouble breathing so we had to put cuts in the burlap. Next I sewed twine in a zig zag pattern to cover the slits (now he can drink with a straw). In the temple area on each side I hot glued a strip of burlap. That way when he puts the hood over his head I can tie those two straps around the back of his head. Holding his mask against his face firmly.
I put the hood on him and used a piece of twine to gather it under his chin and around the neck and cut the neck ruffle how we wanted it.
Using arylic black and dark brown pain I dirtied up the burlap and accented the areas I wanted to be really pronounced. I also used black at the end of each piece of twine because the twine left smale holes in the mouth area and I did not like seeing them. The black paint hid them well!
Burlap Long Vest: I took an old sleeveless t-shirt of my Husbands and layed it on the burlap to draw my outline for cutting. I just extended it and made it longer. I sewed twine down the length of the front along with some X marks on other areas. I ran a bead of glue about 3 inches in from the edge of the fabric. That way when I frayed the shoulders, bottom and front the fray would only go so far and stop at the glue. Using the same paint as the hood I dirtied up the twine and vest.
Sweatshirt and pants. Anything brown will do.
Work golves dirtied with black and brown spray paint.
The rope for the wrists, waist tie and noose were also dirtied with black and brown spray paint. My husband made the noose.
The hat we bought but it was way too light and super clean and all perfect. So I again used the black and brown spray paint along with black and brown acrylic paint to make it look old and stuffed the inside with newspaper so it would stand the way I wanted it.
Weapon is an actual hay sickle.