|Costume type:||Costumes for Men|
This homemade costume for men entered our 2012 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Alexander, the 'Scarecrow' costume creator:
My hand made costume of the character 'Scarecrow' from the video game 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'. The full budget was around $300 for:
- Costume grade pleather
- Thick brown string
- Painters mask
- Shower drains
- Hose clamps
- Prescription Yellow UV Glow contact lenses
- LED Glowsticks
- LED car accent lights
- Toggle switches
- Meat flavor injectors
- Aquarium tubing
- Yellow food coloring
- Home air duct
- Various paints
It was a project that required a lot of time, but I feel like the end result was worth it.
** Mask **
First, I painted the 'painter's mask' black and glued the shower drains to each side to simulate a gas mask. From there, I used aircraft model gun metal spray paint to color the mask, giving it a more realistic look. From there I added the hose clamps around the drains for effect, and proceeded to use silver/black/brown acrylic model paints for detailing, so it would have a more realistic worn/rusted metal look to it all. From there, I fitted and carefully tailored a burlap mask for my head and cut a frown for the 'gas mask'. I attached it all with fabric super glue, then made some arbitrary cuts, glued them together, and used the twine as stitching for effect as well as a menacing mouth.
** Glove **
This was pretty difficult. I took 4 meat flavor injectors and sanded them down for a cloudy. This also helps the paint stay on as they were totally clear plastic. After taping off 'windows' on each syringe, I proceeded to give them the same 'metal' treatment I gave the mask. After that, I super glued LED car accent strips on the inside, then used a yellow salt water mix, filled each syringe as well as the aquarium tubing with fluid, and sealed it all off with more glue. Picked up an air duct from Home Depot and glued a few LED glowsticks to it and painted. Once paint was all finished, I wired the toggle switches to the fingers for easy on off, since they came with a push button that required holding down.
From there, made a couple sleeves, a hood (with a hanger in the rim for forming), pants, a noose, and a loin cloth.
Put that all together, and I got this. :-)