Witch's Munchkin Stew Costume
Witch's Munchkin Stew
|Costume type:||Costumes for Women|
This homemade costume for women entered our 2014 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Lori, the 'Witch's Munchkin Stew' costume creator:
I made a headless costume several years ago and I've been itching to make another illusion costume. I love to come up with an idea and then figure out how to make all the pieces fit together to create a fun illusion.
1. I purchased a cheap backpack and filled it with florist foam. Then I inserted two wooden dowels into the foam. I used Velcro to attach pieces of black fabric to cover the side and create an illusion of her dress.
2. The witch is a hanging Halloween decoration which lights up and talks. I made tubes out of cardstock and taped it to either side of the battery pack to slip over the dowels. I extended her arms with heavy gauge wire to reach the cauldron. Then I used black fabric, fiber fill and a glue gun to bulk her up. I also added more fabric to extend her dress. Then I added a wig to make her more realistic.
3. The cauldron is hard to see in the photo, but it is a black plastic bucket. I cut out the back and a portion of the bottom to fit around me. I used rope to create laces in the back to help hold it on.
4. The munchkin’s costume was entirely made from clothes at a second hand store. I made the lollipop out of twisted tissue paper and made the hat out of felt and hot glue.
5. I made the munchkin’s legs out of pool noodles, heavy gauge wire, fiber fill, striped tights and boots. I originally made elf-like shoes out of felt, but it looked more realistic with actual boots. Unfortunately, they added weight to the legs.
I worked on this costume for over a month, but it was so worth it! Now, to start thinking of my next one…