This is my Circus Costume
Rate this costume:
|add a comment|
This is my circus, these are my monkeys!
|Costume type:||Costumes for Families|
This homemade costume for families entered our 2015 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from April, the 'This is my Circus!' costume creator:
This is a picture of me, my son and our 2 Great Danes. "This is my circus!". My costume was a regular red blazer from goodwill that cost $3.60. I purchased scrap ribbon and Christmas rope from hobby lo by and black and white acrylic paint. I cut the front of the blazer to make it waist length then sewed the clippings to the back for my coat tail. painted the collar black with white stripes using cheap acrylic paint from the craft store, the cuffs are black acrylic paint and various pieces of scrap gold ribbon. I relocated the buttons from the original cuff and used cardboard to make the shoulder pieces, glued additional scrap fabric from the front to the cardboard and glued the fringe and buttons from the cuffs to that and secured to the shoulders with hotglue. Sewed and glued gold Christmas ribbon around the edges. To make the tails, I split the seam of the coat, added the extra fabric and cut into tail shape and sewed an new edge; added tulle to the inside of the back of the coat at various lengths. I am no seamstress, it has been at least 10 years since I pulled out my sewing machine so anyone with a little imagination and basic understanding of sewing can do...if u can't sew then a glue gun will work too. The tut is a half tutu with tulle and scrap ribbon and I used a old corset I had from years past to give a creative underlayer instead of a vest. the white shirt is something I had in my closet to wear to work and throw on some black pants and boots I already owned. The hat was a cheap $2 top had from Walmart and I used tulle and feathers I had to decorate and make it fit the costume. My son's costume was a recycled Transformer outfit that was given to him which he has never worn. I cut off the legs and used various colors of creme/tan acrylic paint to transform this transformer suit to a muscle suit, added an old tank top and shirts with black socks and recycled an old belt I never wear by gluing gold glitter to the buckle..his chest hair is a Sharpe and the barbell is made from an old curtain rod and plastic plates from the dollar store. the mustache in one picture is painted on and in the other was scrap fabric from the lions manes. the lions made is made from fabric from the store, furry fabric and a jersey netting material I used for the base. I sized the dogs by wrapping the fabric around their heads and made a base that looked like a ski mask...once I had the base made I then cut the furry fabric into strip and sewed onto the base in laters, pleating it along the way for volume. the fabric strip were about 3-4 inches wide. adding extra to the front to make the mane appear long. Total cost for all three was around $30 in materials, several late nights and a few nasty glue gun burns! I had to come up with something with a circus theme for our department dress up for Halloween. Since I am a supervisor it just made sense to be the Ring Leader or Ring Master. The rest of the costumes were inspired by that so we could continue the theme...since I have two large dogs it also just made sense to make them the ring masters lions. So much fun!