2016 Halloween Costume Contest
Enter 2016 Costume Contest
 
Maleficent Costume
by Rachael
Young Maleficent Costume
by Jennie
Maleficent Costume
by Sarah

Maleficent Costume

Rate this costume:

12 votes
add a comment 
Email
Maleficent Costume

Maleficent Costume

More views: (click to enlarge)
Photo #1 - Maleficent Photo #2 - Maleficent Photo #3 - Maleficent Photo #4 - Maleficent Photo #5 - Maleficent Photo #6 - Maleficent Photo #7 - Maleficent
Costume type:  Costumes for Girls
Categories:Halloween Costumes, Movie and TV Show Costumes

This homemade costume for girls entered our 2014 Halloween Costume Contest.

A word from Angelica, the 'Maleficent' costume creator:

My daughter Annalise Lomeli was the perfect candidate for the costume my mother, Maria Alanis, and I created. She is such a good sport and doesn't mind a little pain for gain. I thought of the whole concept even before the movie actually came out in theaters. I hoped the movie would be a big hit so people knew what we were trying to achieve. The whole costume was made from scratch. The wings were made of .25" foam wrap ($8.99 for 150' of foam wrap) from which I cut out feathers. Metal hangers were bent, shaped and taped together To form the base of the wings. I traced the 2 outlines of Metal wings onto a poster board, then cut out both traced wings using a box cutter. I then, placed the poster board base between the metal shaped outline and taped it in place. That step was simply done so that I would have a base to glue on the feathers. After I placed the feathers down and created the shape I wanted to achieve for opposite sides. To the back, i followed the shape of the front side (which made it easier). I continued and glued the remainding feathers onto the base of the wings using a hot glue gun ( make sure to let the glue cool a little befor placing the foam feather onto it). The claws were made of small wax bottles (Nik-L-Nips) that were drained and pressed and heated together to form the shape. The harness for the wings was a metal plate we found in theThe harness for the wings was a metal plate we found in the garage that had a curve that naturally fit my daughter back. It had two holes that we used to pull the straps thru. The dress and cape were made of fabric we bought at the swapmeet for $2. The horns were made of clay and the head piece was made using buckram material that I also got on Amazon for $5 ( stiffens when wet and left to dry) I used a foam head form . I wet the buckram and placed it on the head form and created the shaped I wanted for the base after it dried I glued the dried horns onto the Buckram form and cut out pieces of leather( old pair of leather pants) and glued them onto the buckram form and around The horns. An elastic strap was used to keep the horns and the head piece in place. I recommend using paper clay rather than lightweight clay because we found the horn to be to heavy. I hope this gave others an idea of all the hard work we did to make this costume.

Rating: 4.3 of 5. Votes: 12

12 votes
Pin It

Comments

No comments yet...
Be the first who commented this costume!

Add Your Comment

* Comment: 
* Your Name: 
* Your Email: