2016 Halloween Costume Contest
Enter 2016 Costume Contest
 
Labyrinth Family Costume
by Loni
Labyrinth Family Costume
by Stephanie
Labyrinth Family Costume
by Patrick

Firebirds from the Labyrinth Costume

Rate this costume:

27 votes
2 comments  ·  add a comment 
Email
Firebirds from the Labyrinth Costume

Firebirds from the Labyrinth

More views: (click to enlarge)
Photo #1 - Firebirds from the Labyrinth Photo #2 - Firebirds from the Labyrinth Photo #3 - Firebirds from the Labyrinth Photo #4 - Firebirds from the Labyrinth Photo #5 - Firebirds from the Labyrinth
Costume type:  Costumes for Couples
Categories:Halloween Costumes, Movie and TV Show Costumes

This homemade costume for couples entered our 2013 Halloween Costume Contest.

A word from Shellaina, the 'Firebirds from the Labyrinth' costume creator:

I created Firebirds for Halloween 2013. I got the idea from the movie The Labyrinth. My husband (Tim Miller) is the male bird, and I (Shellaina Miller) am the female bird. I pieced these costumes together myself. I started with red body suits as a base. I then sewed together my red and yellow body suit that went over top of my full body suit. I sewed tulle around an elastic band to cover the bottom of the 2nd body suit. I purchased the beak masks, and added all the feathers and detailing with hot glue (this was time consuming and warranted many burnt fingers)! I added red and yellow boas to the female costume for extra feathers. I purchased battery operated Christmas lights with clips and attached them under my tulle. I had wings in the back. I glued tons of feathers together to create wings. For the male bird I purchased the "body armor" plain, and added more battery operated Christmas lights, as well as the feathers that surrounded it. The lights were hot glued underneath the feathers to hide the wires and the battery boxes were clipped behind my husbands cape that I sewed together as well. The cape was red fabric with tulle added to the edges with red thread. The male bird's mask was also purchased plain and all the décor was added to it with hot glue as well. The male bird had a lighted Mohawk that I purchased at a novelty shop years ago. He also had homemade wings in back, and the arms feathers were pieced together feather by feather. I hot glued the arm feathers to dowel rods (wooden sticks) and hot glued them in the folds of his cape at the arms. His bottoms were old basketball shorts, and his waist band was an old band outfit piece. I tied the leg guards onto his legs with elastic string; same as the chest piece. These outfits took me two weeks to make, and they cost approximately $100.00 to make. I am so proud of how well they turned out!

Rating: 4.7 of 5. Votes: 27

27 votes
Pin It

Comments

#1 comment by Jeanne Miller October 28, 2013

awesome costumes, love it, definitely took a lot of time and effort into making these costumes. good luck

#2 comment by Sandra Crum October 31, 2013

these costumes are superb. Lot of detailed work.

Add Your Comment

* Comment: 
* Your Name: 
* Your Email: