Jim Carrey's The Mask Costume
|Costume type:||Costumes for Boys|
This homemade costume for boys entered our 2017 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Crystal, the 'Jim Carrey's The Mask' costume creator:
We always try to do unique Halloween Costumes for the kids and we try to start planning a couple months in advance. One day we were thinking about Halloween costumes and somehow came up with The Mask. My kids had never seen the movie since it came out way before they were born, so we ordered a copy from amazon and when it came in we let them watch it. They loved it. So we decided that is what we would make our son for Halloween. He has been going around the house doing the dance moves and saying somebody stop me! The pants were just some white baseball pants. I found the black shinny shoes at the goodwill for $2. I sewed the shirt using a pattern I had for a boys button up collared shirt, but then I had to create the ruffles on the sleeves myself. The hat I purchased at the Dollar Tree and found some ribbon if that's what you want to call it at Walmart and sewed it to the hat to make the hang down balls. I purchased a bald cap from the Halloween store and used face-paint to paint it and his face green. The red scarf was just an extra piece of red cloth I had laying around. I think what really pulled the costume together was his teeth. I just would not have been satisfied with this costume without those teeth. I thought I know I will never be able to find any fake teeth that look like The Mask teeth, so I turned to U-Tube. I found a video on how to make monster teeth from these small plastic pellets. I ordered the pellets and when they came in I made the teeth. At first, I melted the pellets and placed them over his natural teeth to form like a custom mouth guard. Then I used another set of pellets to created a line of teeth and formed them onto the mouth guard and glued them in place. Lastly, I couldn't find any maracas that didn't cost and arm and a leg so, I used some plastic Easter eggs.I put rice in them and glued them shut. Then I used some more of the plastic pellets to attached them to some wooden dowels and I painted them with craft paint. It worked wonderfully.