The Grand Champion Chicken Baby Costume
Rate this costume:
|add a comment|
Chicken DIY Costume- Toddler
|Costume type:||Costumes for Babies|
This homemade costume for babies entered our 2014 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Kally, the 'The Grand Champion Chicken' costume creator:
We have joined the sustainable living bandwagon and living in the heart of Dallas, Texas it was a challenge to introduce our love for chickens. Neighbors would drive-by so slowly and walk down the alley just to get a glance into our ‘Chicken Yard’. My husband David and I were not looking back after our first encounter with a City-Chicken that was given to us on a FaceBook group, a beautiful Silkie named Pancho. The chickens took us by storm, we went from having 1 to 11 overnight after I discovered where to buy baby chicks and my daughter, Madeline Kate, who is now 2 years old has helped us love and raise these feathered family members and thus our inspiration for Halloween 2014!
This is such a cute costume, that would work on a boy or girl and so easy & affordable and guaranteed to get any little one noticed and from my personal experience (lots more candy)!
What you need:
- Adult white long-sleeve t-shirt (I used an adult small turtleneck)
- 6 white feather boa’s (colors are fine too)—hobby lobby is the cheapest when you use the coupon
- White or light colored hat (any winter hat, ski-cap, bucket hat, cowboy hat will work)
- Red Hair Bow or Red Felt
- Orange/Yellow Tights or Leggings (I bought white ones and dyed them)
- Pair of shoes
- Pair of Yellow Rubber Kitchen Gloves (Medium or Large)
- Pillow stuffing
- Needle & White Thread OR Hot Glue Gun
Putting it all together:
- Take the T-Shirt and 1 feathered boa and begin at the back center neck and stitch or hot glue (I prefer stitches) every 6-8 inches working your way around the shirt. Continue adding the feathered boas as you need and work circles all the way down to the bottom (excluding the arms).
- Cut 1/3 of the sleeve off and starting at the top of the sleeve begin wrapping the boa and stitching (or gluing) all the way to the end of the sleeve. At this point the entire shirt is wrapped in feathers.
- Now for the hat it’s the same process as the shirt, just wrapping and securing until it’s fully covered with feathers. I added a red hair bow on the top but this could be made of red felt and just hot glued to the center of the hat.
- For the feet, take the yellow rubber gloves and cuff the bottom ½ way up and begin stuffing the fingers with pillow stuffing until all 5 are able to point straight. Get the pair of shoes and just pull the glove over the top, like a sock. Pull it as tight as you can making sure the fingers are where the end of the shoe starts.
- Finally, put it all together! Put on the leggings, then the shoes/feet, followed by the feathered shirt and top it off with the hat and cock-a-doodle-doo!!!!