2016 Halloween Costume Contest
Enter 2016 Costume Contest

Pollination or Pawlination Costume

Rate this costume:

1 vote
1 comment  ·  add a comment 
Pollination or Pawlination Costume

Pollination or Pawlination

More views: (click to enlarge)
Photo #1 - Pollination or Pawlination Photo #2 - Pollination or Pawlination Photo #3 - Pollination or Pawlination Photo #4 - Pollination or Pawlination
Costume type:  Costumes for Pets
Category:Halloween Costumes

This homemade costume for pets entered our 2014 Halloween Costume Contest.

A word from Tracey, the 'Pollination or Pawlination' costume creator:

My dogs Libby and Sawyer are a big part of our family and although they don't get to go trick or treating, I make them a costume every year. They do get lots of treats for photo taking but this does turn on the drool taps :) This year I went a little crazy and made them three each. I also made a matching costume for my daughter.
I began by sewing the dogs costume body. I made a pattern from taking my dogs measurements and use this same pattern for most of my costumes adjusting where necessary. I always try to use stretch fabric to ensure a good and comfortable fit. Velro is used to fasten at the back of the costume. The body was supposed to represent the flower stems, so I used green fabric. I made leaves from the same fabric and sewed them on at the bottom of the legs. I finished by using fabric paint to add the leaf veins and grass like texture.
I wanted my dogs heads to look like they were the heads of the butterfly and Bee. I began by making them simple hoods using a black stretch fabric. I measured the widest part of their heads and neck for a good fit. I then used Felt to make the butterfly and bee bodies. I added on felt legs and used yellow felt for the bee, which I hot glued on. The butterfly wings were made with orange felt and I painted on the detail using black and white fabric paint. The bee wings were made using strips of foam and I glued on black tulle. I then used hot glue, which I drizzled on to form the veins in the wings. I tried the hoods onto my pups and placed the bee and butterfly bodies before sewing them on. I them made feelers using strips of the foam covered in black felt and sewed them on.
To make the flowers, I cut craft foam into petals and used acrylic paint on the edges and centers of them. I hot glued them onto collars that I had made from strips of foam covered with Green felt. Again, velcro was used for fastening.
My daughter wore a green shirt and jogging pants that she already owned. I made her hood the same way as I made the pups but using a cream coloured fleece that I had leftover from another costume. The caterpillar body hung down from it and just sat on the leaf pillow. The leaf was made from the same fabric that I used to make the dogs costume bodies, stuffed and painted on detail.
Total for the three costumes was approx $18
3 metres of green stretch fabric..... $3 metre ..................................................$9
Felt... dollar store 3 for $1.25... 4 black, 2 orange, I yellow, 2 green................$3.75
Craft foam...dollar store...3 for $1.25...used 6 each of yellow and orange......$5
Black and cream stretch hoods...leftover from other costume

Rating: 3.0 of 5. Votes: 1

1 vote
Pin It


#1 comment by andrea November 8, 2014

I love it!!! Great concept adorable puppies! Awesome job

Add Your Comment

* Comment: 
* Your Name: 
* Your Email: