Poison Ivy Costume
|Costume type:||Costumes for Women|
This homemade costume for women entered our 2014 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Jessica, the 'Poison Ivy' costume creator:
My costumes for Halloween are chosen each year by my little cousin, Kira, who is currently "almost 4". This year she insisted that I dress up as "Poison Ivy". For a kid, she really likes villians. So, the thinking process instantly went into diy mode and the excitement to wear a one-of-a-kind costume was in abundance.
Before any diy project I like to do some research to elimate common problems others have encountered. Looked up Poison Ivy costumes on Pinterest and decided on the type of outfit I wanted to wear. YouTube videos helped me a lot when it came to actually putting the costume together. I then google make up images and found an image I wanted to duplicate.
What I used:
Gathering all the materials and making a plan. This step was rather difficult because I was searching for a green one piece swim suit in Fall. After talking to family and friends, I was persuaded to up the "sexy" factor and show off my tummy. (I have worked hard to be a healthy and active person and now have "baby abs" as proof). Going out of my comfort zone I agreed and decided on a two piece for my costume.
bra top (vs, already had)
white swim suit bottom (vs, already had)
green acrylic paint (already had)
black heels (sheik, already had)
red wig (spirit halloween, $20)
green stockings (spirit halloween, $7)
green fishnet fingerless gloves (spirit halloween, $8)
sewing needle (hobby lobby, $3)
body adhesive (hobby lobby, $5)
green thread (hobby lobby, $2)
green glitter (hobby lobby, $3)
green rit liquid color dye (hobby lobby, $3)
leaves on a vine (jo-ann's fabric, $14 original price but I had a 50% off coupon, $7)
small leaves in a bag (goodwill thrift store, $2)
green eyeshadow pallet (walgreens, $1)
total cost of costume = $61 (taxes not included)
What I did:
I used the rit dye and colored the white bottom. Sewed on the leaves to the bra top, swim suit bottom, left side of the stockings, and to glove I would be using on my right. This process was classified as trial and error. The perfectionist crafter that I am was not satisfied the first several times with the placement of the leaves. So, there I was taking off and putting on leaves for a few hours until I was happy. I painted my black heels with the acrylic paint. I used the body adhesive to glue the glitter on my forehead for a more dramatic look. BAAAMMMM costume completed and ready to enter a contest at my local country club, Whiskey River Houston. By the way, I lost to "Eve".
Overall, the process was simple and the final product was amazing. I had a blast celebrating Halloween this year. Here's to another chance to win a costume contest. Hope I win this time.