|Costume type:||Costumes for Adults|
This homemade costume for adults entered our 2013 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Karen, the 'Mummified' costume creator:
This costume is a gruesome mummy with brain, intestines, ribs and bones hanging out. I wore this to a costume party last weekend (19th October)
How I made it:
For the brain I layered liquid latex into a brain jelly mould. The latex I had coloured with a makeup foundation and then painted with acrylic paints.
For the ribs I layered and shaped tissue paper mixed with gelatine (the type used in cheesecakes etc) and then again used acrylic paints. I applied the same method for the exposed shin bone and hand bones.
For the intestines I cut the legs from a pair of pink tights (pantyhose) and stuffed each with tissue. I then dipped these into gelatine, shaped and left to dry.
For the legs I simply wrapped my legs on the night with the dyed strips and put the exposed bone prosthetic in place.
For the hands I glues the strips to and old pair of winter gloves I had.
For the top half I used a fabric glue to old the strips to a long sleeved top which I had put Velcro in the back to make it easy to take on and off.
And now the face..... for the mouth I firstly stippled my face with liquid latex and layered tissue paper on where I wanted to cover, sticking each layer with liquid latex. For the teeth I shaped some false nails and discoloured them with old nail varnishes I had. I stuck these on with glue and then painted the piece with acrylic paints. And finally for the brow I used the same method as with the mouth, but was careful to put glue stick over my brows to protect them as hair and liquid latex DO NOT mix well! To finish I placed blood gel all over d intestines and brain.
It was great fun making it and a great party. Total cost probably: curtains 6 euro, liquid latex 4 euro, paints 3 euro, nails 2 euro, coffee I had :), gelatine about 4 packets 7.20 euro, fabric glue 9 euro, blood 4.50 euro, tissue and nail varnish I had. Altogether 35.70 euro - just under 50 dollars. The contact lens I had from a costume last year as I had only used one contact for that costume.
My inspiration: I looked at all the costumes I could online that you can buy and combined all the bits I could do myself :). You tube has great tutorials on working with gelatine and liquid latex also.