Mother of Dragons Costume
Rate this costume:
|add a comment|
Mother of Dragons
|Costume type:||Costumes for Families|
This homemade costume for families entered our 2014 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Tracey, the 'Mother of Dragons' costume creator:
This family costume was made for my daughters and my pups. Game of Thrones is one of our favourite TV shows/books and inspired me to make the costumes.
I began by making patterns for fabric costume parts. For my daughter, I took patterns from her own clothing. I had made patterns for my dogs for past costumes and used the same ones. I searched for fabric that had scales but was unable to find what I was looking for, so I purchased stretch velvet in colours that I could work with for the three different dragon colours. I needed 2 meters for my daughters and 1 meter for each dog. After sewing the costumes, I then used black permanent marker to draw on the scales and used fabric paint to add the appropriate colour highlight on them. I dry brushed the paint so it wouldn't be heavy.
For the hoods, I measured my dogs heads around the widest part of my dogs faces and necks. For my daughter, I made a balaclava type hood. Due to using stretch fabric, fasteners weren't needed for my daughter's top or leggings. I used velro for fastening, on the back of the dog's costumes. I then cut craft foam to make the mane on top of the dragons head. I washed over the bright craft foam with red paint and painted the black spikes. I cut pointed spikes from strips of plumbing pipe insulation and hot glued them onto the fabric. BE SURE TO USE LOW TEMPERATURE HOT GLUE as you will melt the foam and burn yourself, as I discovered in the past :( Once the foam is added the piece in not machine washable but you can wash it by hand.
To make the wings, I cut a pattern that I could use for all six wings. After tracing out the wings onto a very lightweight fabric, I hot glued thin strips of foam to shape the wings before cutting the fabric and trimmed once the then painted the wings using craft acrylic. For the dogs, I made a collar using the pipe insulation covered in the same fabric that I had used for the wings and used velcro for a fastener. I then hot glued on the wings and painted them. You can also add a small piece of velro on each side of the shirts to stop them from flapping around too much, but they are extremely lightweight and this is not necessary, I just didn't want them to annoy my pups with the flapping. For my daughter, I used velcro on the back of her shirt at the bottom of her shoulder blades and on her back near her arm.
To make the dress for Daenerys Targaryen I took my daughter's measurements and made a pattern on paper first. I purchased two metres of fabric. I used velcro in the back for fastening. She wore leggings with the dress and boots to resemble one of the recognizable oufits that Daenerys wore. The wig was purchased from the dollar store.
All four costumes took a week to make, the painting on the scales was very time consuming.
The cost of all four costumes was approx $27.
Velvet stretch.....reduced ends.... $3 x 4 meters.......$ 12
Fabric for wings..clearance......$1 x 3m... $3
Daenerys blue dress .......$4 x 2m...$8
Foam, $1 for 3 sheets, used I sheet
Plumbing pipe insulation $1.60 piece, used 2 cut into strips. $3.20
I already had hot glue and paint.