LEGO Superman Costume
Rate this costume:
|add a comment|
Lego Superman! The front!
|Costume type:||Costumes for Men|
This homemade costume for men entered our 2013 Halloween Costume Contest.
A word from Steven, the 'LEGO Superman' costume creator:
- 3 large rolls of masking tape.
- 3 large boxes. 1 for the body and two for the legs.
- 1 sheet of cardboard - The feet and the bump above the knee and below the belt area.
- 2 box blades
- 2 yards of red fabric
- 2 sheets of 8x10 paper
- 1 12" concrete forming tube
- 2 6" Styrofoam discs
- 4 foam pipe insulator tubes
- Hot Glue
- Gorilla Glue
- Water Based Paints for the hair and face features
- 2 cans of red spray paint
- 3 cans of blue spray paint
Time: 10 hours
Total Cost: $40-$50/p>
The main body is made from a computer chair box. I cut 4" into the top and angled it down to about 1" on the bottom inside corner to achieve the Lego body frame. I painted on the belt / muscles. The Superman Emblem is a print out. I also cut a large whole in the top of the box so my head could fit through.
The Legs are two separate boxes. I used smaller cutouts to create the feet extension in from of each one and then taped them to the legs and painted them. Inside the legs I glued/taped down some flip flops so the costume would move with me when i moved.
The head is made of a concrete forming tube (cut to size). I cut out wholes for the eyes and mouth so I could see through and breath easily in the head piece. I used drywall patch screens to cover the eye and mouth wholes so I could see out, but no one else could see in. I free handed the jawlines and eyebrows on the head piece. The inside of the head is lined with foam pipe insulators. These pieces are layered so that it will fit my head. This allows the head to move when I do.
The hair is a single large box that I broke down to fit the circumference of the head. I then taped and glued it into the desired shape.
The Lego Peg on top of the head is two 6'' Styrofoam discs glued together, painted and glued to the hair piece. I also molded the Lego emblem on top of the peg, because details are important.
I used two yards of red fabric for the cape and glued on the Superman emblem on the back for more detail. The cape is glued and taped to the inside of the main body. I took some time on this piece to get it to hang just to the bottom of the fee and to have the wrinkles in the cape just right.
I am wearing the costume in the pictures here. The idea was to be original and over the top for this years office party.