You're viewing: Halloween Costumes
Rate this costume:
Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head
This homemade costume for couples entered our 2012 Halloween Costume Contest.
Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head costume.
Rating: 4.2 of 5. Votes: 16
#1 comment by Jessica September 9, 2012
This costume was pretty easy to make, but a bit time consuming. I would be happy to share more details if anyone is interested!
#2 comment by Hannah September 11, 2012
I would love some tips on how to make this costume!!! I Love it... so creative!
#3 comment by Kelly Scott September 11, 2012
Jessica I would love the details on how to make this please!! This is perfect for us!
#4 comment by Jessica September 12, 2012
Happy to give some details! This is how I did it, but I'm sure a talented seamstress may have some better ideas.
Items I used:
Lightweight fleece, tan (body of costume)
Felt (for facial features-red, blue, black, pink, white)
Cartoon hands (got at Halloween shop)
Stuffing for body (I used a fluffy tutu under my outfit, and a random sheet for my husband's. Im sure there are better options but it was a last minute adaptation)
Drawstring (I used scrap fabric, it's hidden inside the costume anyway)
Lightweight baskets to make hats (my hat was wooden basket with cardboard brim, husbands was laundry basket)
Baseball caps (attached to underside of baskets to keep in place on head)
Scarf or ribbon (mrs. Hat)
Large flower (mrs. Hat)
1. Sew the body "sack." the width should be a few inches larger than the widest part of your shoulders. Length just passes the knees. For Mrs. P, I tapered the sack for a feminine shape.
2. Cut armholes and a head space in the sack.
3. Sew an open hem at the bottom and put the drawstring through it. When you wear it, the drawstring will tighten around your waist and the belly will blouse over. That's where the stuffing can sit.
4. Cut out face shapes and Velcro or sew to costume.
5. cover hats with felt and create eye slits. Attach baseball caps to help basket sit on head.
Tips: try large pieces of foam to make hats...prob much easier! Also, If you want to be really creative, use Velcro for the facial features...people at the party can rearrange them in true potato head fashion!
Add Your Comment